Saturday, July 15, 2006

Eugene: Week Four

It taking me so long to get to posting Week Two, I thought I would get a jump on Week Four...

I'm still chanting, "Job, job, job..." This week I put together applications for two jobs at U of O, plus found a position open at Bethel School District and put an application in there. These took up a lot of time; the applications for the University jobs required short answers to at least four questions each, and I was really amazed at how long it took to write the responses. Then tweak the cover letter, save application, letter, and responses as PDF's on my flash drive, go to Staples to print everything out...I did that on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, Tuesday having been the day in which I rode my bike down to the U of O to check out the job listings in person rather than on the web.

Saturday I got to have a Wonderful Weekend Day, the exact type that I moved here to Eugene to have. The whole famdamnly, we got on our bikes this morning and rode downtown to the Saturday Market, truly the best place to be on a wonderful day like today.* We got down there and I thought, once again, darn it, I forgot to bring my camera again to share with those of you who read my blog. If enough folks, all five or so of you who read this, post comments here and urge me to bring my camera, then maybe I'll remember it next week. At the market we got Number Two Son a couple of cute onesies, one with a skull and crossbones and one that says "I love boobs" (Had to get that last one), and Wayne did our produce shopping. There are so many lovely things at the Saturday Market, I walked around and picked out a lot of things to try and acquire later, when we're settled and HAVE AN INCOME (Again, I can take pictures next week...).

After the market, we rode our bikes over the Willamette River on the DeFazio Bike Bridge, and watched a Bald Eagle fly off with a nice big fish it had just picked out of the river. We stopped and threw some rocks in the river (Well, Number Two Son tried to eat some rocks), then rode along the north shore bike path to the Autzen Bike Bridge, and back home, making a short detour at Sundance Market for some other items.

It was, in all, a most enjoyable day, and I'm hoping to have many more like it in the years to come.

*Oh, and here's the Note on the Weather: For much of this week it was Grey, such a grey that I was reminded, a little, of the planet of Krikkit in HHGTTG. We had some drizzle during the day (and it was WARM), but the only time it rained was at night. Then, for the past couple of days, it was grey until about, oh, say 2:30 in the afternoon, and then it cleared up into brilliantly sunny and warm. It really reminds me a lot of the weather in Santa Cruz, only down there you wouldn't have the rain at night bringing in the fresh smell of wet leaves (it would be the coastal fog bringing in the salty fresh bay smell).

P.S. Kid update: Number Two Son has been sitting up on his own for about two or three weeks now, and can roll himself over quite proficiently from back to front (when he inevitably flops over from sitting - he can't prop himself up yet). He's squirming around quite a bit on his tummy and trying to get himself up on hands and feet/knees - He gets quite upset while trying to do this because he's still not quite strong enough to support himself and he's frustrated. We're to the point where we can't leave him alone in the middle of the king-sized bed because he'll work his way right to the edge and squirm off if left alone (No, mom, he hasn't actually done that. But he came close.).