Sunday, March 12, 2006

It doesn't get much better than this...

The husband and Number One Son are away for the weekend. This morning, Charlie woke up sometime between 5 and 5:30 to be fed. I woke up with a headache, which I had actually been feeling coming on all night. So, in between breasts (for Charlie, I mean), I got up and rooted around and found the Excedrin Migraine, which had an expiration date of 1/2006, but what the hell anyway. So I took two of them, and when Charlie was done eating he fell back to sleep. I lied there in bed with him on my chest, Ruthanne snuggled up next to me. The headache started to recede, the caffeine kicked in (euphoria! Pain relief!), and since I at that point could not get back to sleep I watched it get lighter and listened to my children breathing. Ruthanne must have been dreaming something, because she kept kind of panting and then giving a little toddler sigh. Charle has outgrown that newborn apnea (thank heavens, the kind that makes it hard for new parents to get any sleep - Is he going to start breathing again?) and was breathing regular little breaths up under my chin. I stayed like that for an hour, just enjoying being there and loving my kids, before I my bottomless stomach compelled me to get up in search of oatmeal.